George Richard Reandeau

 United States

  • Date Of Birth: February 28, 1947
  • Date Of Death: December 29, 2019
  • Spouse: GayLee Erickson
  • Resting Place: Ft. Richardson National Cemetery
  • City: Tupper Lake
  • State: New York

George Richard Reandeau, 72, born Feb. 28, 1947, in Tupper Lake, N.Y., died at home Dec. 29, 2019, due to complications of Alzheimer’s disease. George is survived by his wife, GayLee Erickson; his sisters, Toni Boushie and Donna Bousher; brothers, Larry and John Reandeau; stepdaughters, Michelle Kinsey, Cassie Prall-Smith, and Faline Prall; and step-granddaughter, Hailey Kinsey. In the late 1960s, George parachuted into Alaska on an army training mission and vowed to return, which he did in 1983 and built the log home of his dreams in Indian. He taught for the Anchorage School District’s Alternative Career Education Program and retired in 2012.

George has remembered for his patience, caring, creativity, and effective teaching techniques. Friends say he was the kindest, gentlest man they ever met. Many times, he would see his former students in their jobs in the community where they would warmly greet him. George was an amateur photographer, who created stained glass artworks, oil painted, made jewelry, welded, chain-sawed lumber, made kites, and loved having fun. Co-workers nicknamed him “MacGyver,” since he was able to repair most items around his work environment. He loved the outdoors and the beauty of Alaska. As a bass with the Midnight Sons Barbershop chorus, and because of the impromptu gift of wit, George became a favorite in their community skits. He also created and entertained friends and family with original arrangements on the piano and guitar. He had incredible talent with harmonicas and could “jam” with any music group.

Always learning new skills, George drove a summer tour coach in the ’90s for Grayline Alaska, regaling passengers with Alaska history and stories. He then transferred to the Portage Lake Glacier Tour boat, the Ptarmigan, moved up the ranks from crew member to First Mate and secured his 100-ton vessel license, became relief Captain, and continued doing what he loved the most – relating to others. George served as a Morse Code Interceptor in the Army Special Forces during the Vietnam era, and as a proud veteran will be interred at Fort Richardson National Cemetery.